Monday, August 31, 2015

Some of my Fave Music Videos

Something that not everyone knows about me is that I love music videos. I have spent a lot of time thinking about cool things I'd like to put into music videos, it often includes some awesome awesome motion graphics, a fire breather, a boat and Joseph Gordon Levitt. But that is besides the point. I love how music videos can make you not only understand a song better, but it lets you see the song. It gives you a visual representation. It allows the artist to give you a visible work of art. So here is a compilation of some of my favorite music videos that I wanted to share.

Anberlin- Unstable

Not only is the an incredible song, but the music video is phenomenal. It is placed in some sort of other world, post apocolyptic scene, the videography is stunning, the plot line is enough that it gives you the story, but allows your imagination to fill the holes however you think, plus the guy is super cute and the girl has on an amazing outfit. This is definitely one of my all time favorite videos!





MuteMath- Typical

This band has always impressed me, they are raw, creative and their music is just fabulous! This video is one of my favorites because it's just so entertaining to watch. The whole video was filmed, then flipped so you are watching it backwards. The drumming is especially entertaining to watch. You are pretty much watching a hot mess, but you can't keep your eyes off of it. 





Justice- D.A.N.C.E.

I took a motion graphics course once and learned a bit about After Effects and how to create motion graphics, but I am nowhere near an expert at it. However, this video makes me want to sit down at my computer as long as it takes and become an expert. The movement on their shirts are so fluid and amusing and I feel like every time I watch this video I notice something new. 





Stromae- Papaoutai

So this artist is one I discovered while I was in Italy, and excitingly enough he is gaining an audience back here in the states. I chose this video because (although I don't quite know what the lyrics mean) I can follow the story and know what the artist was intending with the video. After watching this video a few times I came up with my own conclusion about what I thought the artist , what the lyrics were saying and how they coincide with the what I was seeing in the video. Then I looked up the lyrics in English and I was right. I love that about music videos, you don't always have to know what the lyrics are saying in order to understand the emotion and intend of the song. Plus, this song is just makes me want to dance and it has a really inspiring meaning behind it. 






Miike Snow

So for those of you doesn't know Miike Snow, look them up. But what I am about to show you may either 1)Scar you for life or 2)Inspire you in ways you won't believe. I still don't know how I feel about this music video series (2 music videos in total) The first music video is for a song called Paddling Out, and it includes alien children dressed in victorian outfits and a chubby guy dancing. You just have to watch to see what I am talking about though. 


Sorry for creeping you out. But here is the next video in the series. I still don't understand this one, but I don't think at this point it is for me to understand, but to rather come to my own conclusion about. It is creepy, confusing, but all at the same time entertaining. This video is filled with cops with donuts, the "perfect human" running down the road in his leather pants, and also dead children. It's weird and you should watch it so you can come up with your own conclusion.





Katy Perry- This is How We Do

I wanted to end this post with a happy song, since the last 2 videos were weird and creepy. So here is Katy Perry's This is How We Do. I wanted to include this song because, as a former art student, I find the art inspired scenes eye catching, plus the song makes me want to dance. In this video Perry not only uses inspiration from Piet Mondian, but I am also includes a few scenes I would assume was inspired by Rene Magritte. The floating ping pong balls and basketballs remind me of his piece Golconda. Plus she wears an outfit inspired by Pizza, and their are mixed mediums involved including dancing food. It's just an all around fun video. 





Well that sums up a few of my favorite music videos. Some of these videos are weird, some are fun, some are inspiring, some tell intricate stories, but they are all an art piece in themselves. I really enjoyed putting this blog post together, so I am definitely planning for more posts like this in the future.





No comments:

Post a Comment